Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stop playing scared


“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”

~Les Brown

Don’t give up on your goals. There are times that I just want to give up because I haven’t lived up to my goal. But it’s my goal for a reason. I want to reach it. Sometimes when we reach for the stars, we fall flat on our bottoms. But, if we don’t keep reaching, we’ll never know how it feels. So get up and dust off your bottom. You can do it. And even if you never reach the star you want, you’ll land in a place that’s even more beautiful that you had once imagined. I believe it.







Tuesday, February 16 – Push past fear...

Courage is acting in spite of fear.

We all feel fear at some time or another. It cannot be denied. Fear is a natural emotion in the face of possible danger, whether it’s the risk from actions that could threaten our lives, or from new experiences that could threaten our happiness.

Being courageous is knowing that courage is not an absence of fear – it is acting in spite of fear. We acknowledge the fear we feel and are determined not to let it stand in our way. Let’s work at living this principle!

(From: fillyourbucket-bounces@edit.byu.edu [mailto:fillyourbucket-bounces@edit.byu.edu] On Behalf OfMichele Bray)


I had a volleyball coach that would tell us that we needed to stop playing scared; defense is great, but without the offense or even an aggressive defense, we weren't going to get anywhere at all. When you play scared, you may get along just fine, sure, but you miss out on so many other opportunities. It's okay to be scared--I'm scared all the time; I worry like you would not believe--but that doesn't mean that I have to hide away in the corner hoping that I don't get hurt. Sometimes you've just got to get out there and go for it. That's what people do--leap and hope you can fly. Sure, you might drop like a rock, wondering the entire way down why the heck did I jump? But if you never jump, you'll never learn to fly.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Get out there and enjoy the ride--it's time to start LIVING life.

No comments: