Saturday, October 18, 2008

You can't live here

Today at the gym a friend of mine said to me as she was leaving, "You can't live here." Novel idea, isn't it? Why would I want to live here? Who in their right mind would want to live here? And yet, there was something to it.

"Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy, happy people don't kill their husbands; they just don't." --Elle Woods

"It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor." --Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it." --Plato

I know that the rest of the world hates exercise, but for me, it provides an escape from reality, if only for a little while. I can release and think clearly--be at one with myself. I think that sometimes we forget how closely connected the body and mind are. "You can't live here."--Oh, there are times when I think, if only I could.

No comments: